Anthro-Inspired Pom Pom Table Runner
When I saw the Nomades Table Runner at Anthropologie, I fell in love. It had colorful layers of pom-pom trim that added the perfect playful touch of whimsy to what was otherwise a plain white table runner. I new I could create a version that would be just as cute and more affordable for my budget.
The key to making this an easy project was using huck toweling fabric. Huck toweling fabric is 100% cotton fabric that is 15″ wide (perfect for kitchen towels and table runners), and has finished edges. All it needs is a quick hem on the cut edges. I got mine at Joann Fabrics, but here is a link to some I found at the OnlineFabricStore. I also bought my pom-pom trim at Joann’s, but I found a link to some here at Fabric.com.
2 Yards of 15″ wide Huck Toweling Fabric
2 Yards each of 6 Different Pom Pom trim
Pencil, Straight Edge, Scissors, Tape Measure, Pins, Iron, Sewing Machine
1. Place huck toweling fabric right side down on table (The right side features a distinct weave while the back side offers a smoother surface.) Fold one unfinished edge up a 1/2″, press. Fold edge up 1/2″ again enclosing raw edge in fold and pin in place. Machine straight stitch as close to the edge of the folded-under fabric as possible, sewing the hem into place.
2. Measure 3 1/2″ from each hemmed edge and mark with pencil.
3.With a straight edge, draw a line at the 3 1/2″ mark.
4. Cut each pom-pom fringe color into 4 – 15″ lengths. Line up bottom pom-pom color (red) along 3 1/2″ mark and pin in place.
5. Using a zig-zag stitch, machine stitch pom-pom trim in place. (Zig-zag back and forth a few times at the beginning and end of sewing to secure stitches.)
6. Place next color (black) trim about a 1/4″ to 1/8″ away from previous color, pin and machine sew in place with zig-zag stitch. Continue in this manner with the next four colors (pink, turquoise, yellow and lime green).
7. Measure up 2 1/2″ on each edge from last of the six colors, mark with a pencil, and using a straight edge draw a line. Pin second 15″ length of first color (red) in place along line, pin, zig-zag stitch in place, and repeat (with black and pink). Measure up 2 1/2″ again from last color (pink), mark with a pencil, and using a straight edge draw a third line. Pin second 15″ length of fourth color (turquoise) in place along line, pin, zig-zag stitch in place, and repeat (with yellow and lime green).
Repeat on second side of table runner.
It’s a very quick project.
Now, schedule a party!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Sharing with the DIY Show Off