DIY: Schoolhouse Light

DIY schoolhouse light: At home on the BayI really love the schoolhouse light on the left from Barn Light Electric.  It has a galvanized finish on the canopy and a gorgeous jadite colored band around the glass globe, but with it’s $163.00 price tag for a small light, it is not in my budget.  Believe me, if I had the budget, I would run not walk to order one of these.  But back to my reality.  I found the light in the center photo for $29.00 at Home Depot which looked similar in style and size.  After a little spray paint transformation, it looks pretty close (see photo on right) to the original. The whole light cost under $45.00

Here is how I did it.

sDIY Schoolhouse light: At Home on the Bay

You will need:

Hampton Bay Medium Esdale Flush Mount Light

Rust-Oleum Hammered Spray paint in silver gray

Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Satin Aqua

Sharpie Paint Pen in Silver

Painter’s Tape

(I found everything at Home Depot.)

DIY schoolhouse light: At Home on the Bay

First, I covered the top and bottom of the canopy with plastic and tape to protect it from over spray.  To change the bronze finish to a galvanized steel look, I spray painted it with Rust-Oleum spray paint in the silver hammered finish.  A few light sprays was all it took.

schoolhouse light: At Home on the Bay

Next, I taped off and covered the globe with plastic, leaving a 2″ strip in the center exposed.  I gave it several light coats of Rust-Oleum Painters Touch in Satin Aqua allowing it to dry between coats. It was the same color I used on the Ikea Hack Barnlight.  I held a flash light to the center of the globe to check and see how the coverage was with the light shining inside the globe.  When I felt like the coverage was even, I gently peeled the tape off.

DIY Schoolhouse light: At Home on the Bay

Then, I wanted to add the silver pinstripe detail, so I taped off a little strip around the globe and filled it in with a silver Sharpie pen.  For some reason the pen bleed under the tape a little, so I cleaned it up with a cotton swab dipped in acetone nail polish remover.

schoolhouse light DIY: At Home on the Bay

Then my husband did his magic and installed the light.

schoolhouse light DIY: At Home on the Bay

I will show you the full tour of the finished hallway next time.

See more DIY lighting projects here.

Sharing with:

Funky Junk Interiors, Six Sisters’ Stuff, Home Stories A  to Z, Common Ground

Comments

1. says

That turned out so well!! I was bummed when you listed that original in your planning post because it’s SO far out of my price range, but this post has renewed my hope :) Love it!

2. says

I’m loving this idea! I’ve been looking for a “farmhouse” ceiling fan and I think you’ve come up with a solution. Those generic white ceiling fans with a schoolhouse light kit would look fabulous with a painted stripe on the light! You come up with the best ideas!

3. Becky says

You did a really great job…jumping right in to the new year you are. No procrastination for you, I’m impressed BTW If you haven’t already gotten the Ballard design boot tray, and have access to garden ridge…I got mine for there for $3.99…yup …it’s heavy gauge plastic…but works like for me?

4. Tricia @ Simplicity In The South says

I think your light is better than the inspiration picture. The turquoise color is perfect! It looks so pretty against the wallpaper. I can’t wait to see how the rest of your entryway comes together!

5. says

Mary, your schoolhouse light is so cute! We stopped by to check out your fun blog! What a gorgeous home and place to live. Someday we would love to go to Maine! Thanks for stopping by our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! Have a great 2013 and we hope to hear from you again soon! -The Six Sisters

6. says

This is FABULOUS! You did such a great job…thank you for sharing. I already have the aqua spray paint, just need the rest. I just replaced my kitchen light fixture but I think this would be an awesome replacement in my laundry area! :)

7. Christine says

Hi – love this DIY lighting!! Can I ask if you did a post about the wall behind the lighting? I am soo in love!! Thanks

8. says

total awesomeness!!! for the life of me I can’t figure out why barn light electric lights are soooo expensive!!! Yours looks so great! thanks for sharing – I’m pinning this!

9. says

We picked up several lights like these off ebay cheap as we are redoing our farmhouse. I like the idea of adding a stripe to some of them. Thanks for sharing!

10. Elizabeth Bailey says

Gorgeous! By golly, between this and your pillowcase with lace edging you’ve made me a follower for life! Found you via lovely Pinterest. ;-)

11. Jennifer says

Have you had any trouble with the globe falling off? This particular light fixture from Home Depot has negative reviews for this problem.

Trackbacks