I tried a gallery wall in the dining room, but I am not happy with it. It feels like a bit of a hot mess. I didn’t plan out the placement of the pictures and plates very well and as a result it feels like it’s in disarray. I have to think of an alternate plan – possibly a mirror. But I do like gallery walls and decided to try it again in the living room. This time I planned it out.
I gathered some pictures that I wanted to hang. I have lots of smaller pictures, so a gallery wall is a nice way to display them and make them feel like one large piece of artwork.
To make it cohesive I chose a few paintings, a few cross stitch samplers and a few silhouettes. Most had black frames, one was oak and one painting didn’t have a frame at all. My husband made me a simple frame out of some wood he had leftover from another project. He is good like that. Maybe I can get him to write a tutorial for us one of these days.
I painted those two frames black to match the other frames – again trying to keep it cohesive.
I moved the pictures around on the living room rug until I had an arrangement that I liked. The walls are old fashioned plaster, so if you make a mistake and have to remove a nail, it leaves a big hole in the wall which has to be repaired with plaster which is a nightmare, so I decided to use Command Strips.
I started by centering the large picture on the wall. I used a nail for that picture, because it is very heavy, and I didn’t want to take a chance with the Command Strips holding that kind of weight. I then worked my way out.
I found the Command Strips at Walmart and I found two different types. One said it was for pictures up to 12 pounds and the other said it was for pictures that were 18″ x 24″. I’m not sure what the difference is, or if the 18″ x 24″ strips were stronger than the twelve pound strips, but I didn’t have anything that was that heavy. First, I added the strips to the back of the frame. I held the frame up to the wall exactly where I wanted it to hang. Then I pushed it onto the wall holding it in place for a few seconds to make sure it stuck. I did make a mistake and had to remove one strip from the wall. It did remove cleanly, but it couldn’t be reused. At least I knew if I make a mistake, I wouldn’t leave a big hole in the wall.
There was one picture that had a hanging wire on the back attached with eye screws. I couldn’t use Command Strips on this one unless I took the eye screws out, so I decided to use a nail. To hang this one, I traced the frame onto a piece of paper marking the highest point of the wire. After cutting out the picture shape, I taped it to the wall where I wanted the picture to sit. I lined up the hanger with the mark on the paper and nailed it in pulling the paper off. This worked really well.
I like how it turned out thankfully, and I only had to make two nail holes which was a bonus.
A little planning went a long way on this one.